Hi!

Since the "big" engine is ready, I began to build another one. This time a smaller one, in scale G for my garden railroad.
I learnt a lot from the previous locomotive prints, this time I changed the direction of printing, hoping it will provide better results.
The 1:12 loco printed each side divided into panels, panels laying on the build plate. This resulted the "printing pattern" can bee seen on each panel. I sanded down each part, applied some layers of primer and putty, but the pattern still can be seen a little.
So, it needed a different approach to print: I decided to print the parts as they are, standing on the build plate, with supports if needed. I designed the whole locomotive to be able to "mass production", which will mean 3 locos will be made. I added screw holes, the motion power will came from a factory power block, just need to screw to the main chassis, also added holes for wiring, etc.
The first prints were very good, no further modification needed. Printing the parts in this way gives a little more resolution (0,1mm layer height) but takes more time, some parts took 20 hours to print...

Another locomotive being build

This is the first chassis, without the top, I'm still waiting for the pantographs to arrive). The prints are very smooth, no hard sanding or other work needed! Will post more photos later.

August 13, 2015

trainmodeller trainmodeller
Honored
205 posts

70 replies

Are you running DCC? It really is the only way to go.

http://www.birkbinnard.com/hohoist/is_dcc_right_for_me.htm

(That was from a previous life.)

August 13, 2015

Birk Binnard Birk Binnard
Exalted
705 posts

Some progress with the loco.
The panto's arrived finally so I can go on with the top of the driver's cab.

September 12, 2015

Honored
205 posts

Another modell being built: yesterday I draw a single MÁV - type signal, as a draft. It looks nice, isn't it?
So why not finish it, hm?? Took a bit of time to take it to parts, 2h30mins to print and then:

Yesss, still looks nice :) As the primer dries I will paint it and put some LEDs in.

September 12, 2015

Honored
205 posts

Good job, the print looks real nice. Thank you for sharing!

forum isn't parsing the jpeg exif header for the correct rotation. it will be fixed. sorry for that.

I see that you have rotated them :-)
Thanks!

September 12, 2015

Janos Janos
Admin
542 posts

I noticed it and replaced the photos with the fixed rotation :)

September 12, 2015

Honored
205 posts

It is looking really good, well done! I love the mix of the older hobby with new 3d printing.

September 12, 2015

Matthew L Matthew L
Exalted
703 posts

Sooooo......if I made the light signal of MÁV, why not to reproduce the form-signals?
Let's start with the simplest one.

Holy shit, this thing has so many parts and operating it needs at least a degree in mechanical!

So afer I went to some places where still operating form-signals can be seen and made a lot of photos and videos of how it's working, I had to reduce the parts and make it simplier to work, just have to pull one of the wires and it will shift. Now I have to paint the finished signals.....

October 14, 2015

Honored
205 posts

It took a bit of time to paint, since I had to re-design the signal...I reduced the idividual objects and printed most of the parts as one object, so this new version is easy to assemble (took me half a day to paint and complete one signal) :)
The signals are working...only for hard-core garden railway fans :)

October 19, 2015

Honored
205 posts

Great time for some photos of the finished signals. Now I'm working again on the locomotive, hope I can post some new prints next week.

October 22, 2015

Honored
205 posts

Wow, great work!

If not for the home in the background, people might have mistaken it for real locomotive. :-)

Can't wait to see your next locomotive project. Thanks for sharing.

October 22, 2015

3DForms 3DForms
Superstar
1774 posts

I agree, it looks fantastic!

October 22, 2015

Matthew L Matthew L
Exalted
703 posts

From the big ones to the small ones. Printed with 0,2mm nozzle.

I'm also designed and printed a series of bogies for H0 scale (1:87) hungarian modell carriages.

It replaces the original one but looks much better :)

February 17, 2016

Honored
205 posts

The "C50" type engine of the hungarian forestry railways.

It was designed from only one plan available, with many missing parameters, in scale 1:24.

May 1, 2016

Honored
205 posts

After a bit of use...getting weathered.

May 5, 2016

Honored
205 posts

@trainmodeller, Cheers to an excellent design and construction and completed 3D print of the train : (

May 29, 2016

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

It's been almost one year since I last posted about the electric loco project, ahh. Recently I had enough time to print some parts and try the loco on my garden layout. Here you are, the first run, the first pics:

Still many things to print and add, but at least it is operating now.

August 23, 2016

Honored
205 posts

Definitely astounding world class work of your train modelling, printing and painting!

Btw, what modelling software did you use?
Tks

August 23, 2016

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

Hi!

It's not painted yet, it will be blue with white stripes. The white parts are covered with primer.
The program I used is a free one, DesignSpark Mechanical. I used the Cura slicer, the modell is printed with 0,4mm nozzle and 0,1mm layer heigth.

The pantographs and wheels are factory made ones, I bouth them from PIKO (www.piko.de).
Here is a screenshot I took while drawing the locomotive.
This is the original locomotive. Notice the pantographs, those are the new ones, not the original pantographs of the locomotive. Also you can see, many small parts still missing from my modell, will be added later.

August 23, 2016

Honored
205 posts

Awesome!

August 23, 2016

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

Here it is, running on the tracks. While waiting for the sound and digital control, I'm continue the assembly works. Bogies are fixed, buffers added, also added the accumulator box and air tanks to the frame. Next the ligths, and then the interior and windows. Of course lamps and interior will be 3D printed parts, too! The last part will be the painting of the chassis.

September 5, 2016

Honored
205 posts

Wow, that's a fantastic job you've done! Thanks for sharing. :-)

September 5, 2016

3DForms 3DForms
Superstar
1774 posts

Good job!

September 6, 2016

Cengiz Cengiz
Honored
228 posts

While the first one is being build, I decided to build one more, it will be a different paint scheme, and I modified some parts for more reliable and durable chassis.

At the moment I'm thinking about selling the printer and buying the new Craftbot 2, and the modell will be printed with the new one.

September 16, 2016

Honored
205 posts

Some progress on the fist loco. Yes, first one, three more will be made. One will have a different paint scheme, three will be the same as this here.

October 17, 2016

Honored
205 posts

More and more and more locs coming out from the printer :)
Until now 4 locos are finished and being painted. Final assembly will be finished around end of March.

February 9, 2017

Honored
205 posts

Fantastic work!

Someone shrink me please, so that i can hop on board these trains.

February 9, 2017

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

Excellent work. Do you have a diagram that shows your overall track layout/design?

February 9, 2017

Exalted
705 posts

It's a bit off-topic:
This was the initial design, it is a very very small layout in the back of the garden. Later I changed the position of one switch but mainly the same.
I had a huge gauge one (Märklin) layout before, with 80 meters of tracks, but I sold that completely then I built this small one. This small one is much easier to maintain and G scale tracks are more durable than Märklin gauge ones. There are other videos from both layout - and from my H0 scale also on my channel youtube.com/trainmodeller

February 9, 2017

Honored
205 posts

Thanks. Before I got interested in 3D printing I too did model railroading - twice. My last effort was a digitally controlled HO layout that pretty much filled a 3x5 meter table in my garage. Here's a pic from both worlds:

February 9, 2017

Exalted
705 posts

While drawing the two new engines, I painted one of the chassis to a different livery.

April 9, 2017

Honored
205 posts

Very nicely done, thanks for sharing.

April 9, 2017

3DForms 3DForms
Superstar
1774 posts

On 90%....addig the electronics, LEDs and then setting on the tracks.

April 13, 2017

Honored
205 posts

Toot tooot... Awesome!

April 13, 2017

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

Another 3 locos are painted and ready to assembling :)

So I tought it is time to draw another one :) MÁV class M28 small shunter diesel, for G Scale. I hope I can start printing it next week.

May 9, 2017

Honored
205 posts

Wow Trainmodeller, you did a very great job again!
As always you are inspiring me to make something.

I think this forum has really need a Like button!

May 10, 2017

3DWizards 3DWizards
Beginner
31 posts

With a very little free time, here is a photo of the printing progress of the little shunter locomotive.

May 18, 2017

Honored
205 posts

Aaaaargh....the last 3 of the electric locos are painted and ready for the final assembly. At least.
The little Rába shunter loco is getting ready for painting. Sanding, sanding and a bit more sandig before I can paint it.

May 20, 2017

Honored
205 posts

@trainmodeller,

Awesome craftwork!

Are any of your trains for sale? If yes, where?

Thank you

May 24, 2017

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

No, those are only for my fun & hobby. I have very limited free time, so it is not possible to mass-produce them. I've sold some G scale signals for my fellow modeller friends, but those were not painted and they assembled and painted them, so I just done the drawing and printing.
For a loco like those it takes 30-60 hours of printing then another 30-60 hours after work. Sanding, painting, assembling them. I have a full-time job, so that's only for some kind of relaxing after work hours.

May 24, 2017

Honored
205 posts

It's ok. Thank you 😀

May 24, 2017

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

My creations alive :)

July 30, 2017

Honored
205 posts

And the new project, the scale 1:26 M62 (or in Germany DR BR120 Taigatrommel) diesel.

July 30, 2017

Honored
205 posts

We have nice tomatoes this year :)
And the second chassis of the class M28 is nearly ready. Still have to paint the details and assembly, but I decided to make this photo with the matching color tomatoes :)

August 14, 2017

Honored
205 posts

It took almost one month to have the parts from the factory. But the last V42 locomotive can be assembled now. And the little red shunter is near to finish.
At the moment I have two locos and one coach in progress (drawing). I will post some photos of the prints/process, if there is any interest.

September 8, 2017

Honored
205 posts

@trainmodeller, beautiful creation 😀

September 8, 2017

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

It's been a while since the last post. All the four electric locomotives are finished.

The little shunter is near to the finish line also, it is in running condition, needs some parts and other electronic components.

I made a H0 / 1:87 scale station building for my indoor H0 layout. Somebody told me it is not possible to use a FDM printer to produce H0 scale buildings. Hmmm..said I.
Let's see, if it is good or not? Still not finished, waiting for the ready-made roofs. All the parts are made with the Craftbot: windows, walls, etc, with the factory 0,4mm nozzle.

And there are some plans for the winter: another G scale locomotive of course. Only two will be made. It will be a beast.
Yes, this one is the same I already printed in 1:12, but now it will be only 1:26 scale for my G layout.

December 18, 2017

Honored
205 posts

Very cool, thank you for sharing all this! Don't know the slicer you are using, but the new CraftWare 1.15 is just released. Would be nice to hear your feedback too!

December 19, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
542 posts

János: will give it a try. At the moment I'm using Cura (some old version I believe). I had the problems with Craftware, mentioned earlier at the Hungary topic.

Anyway. This was printed with the Craftbot, but the slicer was the Cura. Next time I will try to print some parts with Craftware. Most of the chassis is ready now.

Sanding, sanding, endless sanding comes to me in the new year :)

January 3, 2018

Honored
205 posts

A lot of people would like to know more about the post processing like sanding and painting. Could you post some photos of the additional equipment / tools that you are using for finishing the models? Thank you!

January 4, 2018

Janos Janos
Admin
542 posts

To be honest, I don't have any special tools or other equipment for smoothing the surface:

Water, sanding paper, some sharp knife for the edges.

I think the most important thing is the direction of printing. Instead of printing a loco chassis side-by-side I print the chassis as it is, the biggest parts which fits in the working space. For the long side parts of the loco I printed them facing to the build plate. It is a glass with kapton tape, I think it is smooth enough :) I the first layer is ok then it will be glossy as glass. My big problem with this, the Z accuracy of the printer. There will be those thin lines in the Z direction.
In my case, sometimes those lines are not-so-thin :( I think this might be a problem with some axles, I lubricate them time to time, but some might be worn out.
Also my problem is, when I set the Z to 0,1mm layer height the printer head crashes into the parts and tore the part off from the build plate. Seems the 0,2mm is working only. So I print the parts with this settings. Oh, another important thing for me is to print as few parts as possible. This reduces the assembly time and increasing the stability of the modell, which is essential for a working railroad modell. Use as less glueing and screwing as possible.

Right after printing I sand down the raw PLA surface with rough, 180 sanding paper. Important to apply some primer before painting, I'm using a high-build-up primer which can fill the gaps and can be applied multiple times to the surface and can be sanded down again. You have to apply it carefully, do not fill the small parts and thin lines of the objects.
Let it dry completely. You cannot sand down before it dries 100%. Then comes the messy part: the sanding with water. This time 800-1000 waterproof sanding paper needed, while sanding keep adding water to the surface. This is time consuming but in the end the surface will be very good.

I usually add the finish coating in 3 layers: one layer final colour glossy paint, then if necessary some corrections where it is needed, one thin layer colour again, then the finishing is a matte or semi-gloss lacquer. I don't have any special paint, I buy them in the local store near to me. Those are common acrylic sprays, in RAL colours.
That's it. Nothing special.

January 5, 2018

Honored
205 posts

Giving a try to the craftware :) The 1:12 scale engine needs new bogie frames! :)

This is how the almost-finished MÁV class M41 diesel looks.

January 14, 2018

Honored
205 posts

First M41 chassis is near to the finish. Still waiting for the ordered parts to arrive. Hmm, its not a perfect 100000% match to the original loco but looks like :)

Oh and the first prints with the Craftware slicer also ready. Will post some photos from that also. Better than I first tought, still need to figure out some settings to be perfect.

January 31, 2018

Honored
205 posts

This is how it looks on the track :)

The second chassis is nearly complete. One more will be built.

I printed the bogie frame, sliced with the Craftware. Everything went fine.
I have to print two more. On the photo: the V1.0 on the top, new one and the metal sheet below. The metal sheet was laser cut to the bogie outline.

This is how it looks on the loco. Yes, the loco is a bit worn, it is used in the garden even in snow :)

The V1.0 bogie frames can be seen on the loco, but those were without any protection. I cut the steel plates to the newly printed ones to protect them.

February 20, 2018

Honored
205 posts

As a former HO scale modeler your work is truly impressive. I used DCC electronics to control my 10' x 15' layout, but it looks like you operate yours like a real full scale railroad. I wonder who your switchmaster is.

February 20, 2018

Exalted
705 posts

Things just going on. Two new engines are in design stage, but two of other projects just in the stage of printing/building right now.
This will be a RÁBA-Steiger tractor (Steiger Cougar in US) in scale 1:26, will serve as a load on a flatbed freight wagon. It will be a load only, but I did created the sophisticated articulated parts as in the real one. It can bend and take curves just as the real thing...was not an easy job to draw and hard to print... It is being printed right now. Even the tyres will be 3D printed, because I wasn't able to find matching tyres from stock modells. So, I created them...

This is the newest addition for my garden railroad. At the moment there are no 4 axle tank cars (european normal gauge ones) for 1:26 G scale modells, so I took a lot of photos and measurements and created one for myself. The bogies, buffers, couplings will be PIKO stock ones.

July 18, 2018

Honored
205 posts

@trainmodeller, marvellous 🖒

July 18, 2018

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

A few pics from the progress. The small bits'n pieces are being printed and added on. The tank itself is not sanded down yet, only had a thin layer of primer before sanding. Today I will continue the work. Until now the printing is OK, much better with the new machine than the old one.

July 25, 2018

Honored
205 posts

Small parts, needs one more sanding and a few more parts to add but, looks ok to me.

This one was lying on the floor in the past few months. Now I decided to finish it. Just look at the surface. Is it ok or not? :) :)

July 30, 2018

Honored
205 posts

The last M41 loco has to be ready until the end of next week, that's why the project is rocketed.

And the tank car also improved a bit. 3D printed loco with 3D printed wagon. Getting closer.

August 16, 2018

Honored
205 posts

@trainmodeller, it's always a delight reading your post about trainmodelling, etc : )

If you ever decide to launch a coffee table book about your trainmodelling adventure, please let me know.

August 16, 2018

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

99,99%, small adjustments left only...

August 20, 2018

Honored
205 posts

Hi!
Just read through this topic. I began the thread in 2015 with a design of my first G scale locomotive. Then I made 4 of that type, altough, it was way far from being perfect. Looking back from now, in 2019, I made a lot of mistakes while designing it, I learnt a lot, from design to paint and after works. Last year I was able to sold the first series Craftbot and I bought a new one, the Craftbot+. Since then it has more than 350 hrs in it and printed more than 9 kgs of PLA... (I think I will need a bearing replacement soon but this is not this topic)
Craftbot is my magic pencil, if I draw something it makes it real :) I never dreamed I will be able to make a modell locomotive, now I'm designing the 5th one...
I want to start 2019 wishing every reader a happy new year.

Lets's see what happened here after the last post. A lot of images here :)
Another locomotive being build This is a Spur II freight car. The frame is printed the walls are styrene sheets.
Another locomotive being build I don't have Spur II tracks, the photo is made on my 45mm layout, the owner of the car will carry it on so called rollbock wagens on his IIm gauge railway. This is made for a friend, I learned how to make a simple opened gondola, so I will make my own ones for Spur G 45mm tracks.

The next big task was to create passenger cars for my M41 diesel engine. The aim was to build the MÁV Bhv type coaches. Those are running in the whole country as the base of the MÁV passenger carriage fleet. The walls are laser cut, the end parts, bogies, accessories are printed from Craft PLA.

Another locomotive being build This was the V1.0. It looked ugly, so I just throw away that and started drawing again from zero....
This is the result of the complete re-design. Still not finished, but test runs completed, have to add many small details.

And for 2019, I started to design a new locomotive. This time it is not a hungarian made, but a swedish: NoHAB-GM MÁV M61 class. Those locomotives are very famous here and similar ones were used on many railroads. Still a few of them are in operable state and attracts people when appearing somewhere. It was a hard work to have the nose shape right, I had many help from people operating the locomotive, they helped with advices and photos. The design is still in progress but I made a test print of the nose. It was a 14hrs work for my Craftbot and printed it faultless. I'm pleased with the quality of the object - yep, there will be sanded and painted later.
Another locomotive being build Drawing still in progress.... The base is a PIKO driving unit as usual, and the loco is a bit shrunk to be able to run in R1 curves, some operators still has them here and I want to be able to run in on their tracks also. In overall it is in 1:26 scale as my other designs.
Another locomotive being build A test print of the nose covered in primer.

So I hope in 2019 I will be able to create some new modells for my layout :)

To close this entry this is a photo of my last M41 locomotive with an 1:1 scale original loc.

January 2, 2019

Honored
205 posts

I don't have much to say, except to tell you that you do stunning work! :-)

January 3, 2019

mroek mroek
Revered
519 posts

The Nohab is on its own wheels now :)

January 14, 2019

Honored
205 posts

Love to see your model trains in Singapore 😄

January 14, 2019

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

Here is the latest status of the Nohab-GM engine. Some close-up from the finish.

Making a surface like this:
-sand down the raw print, with dry sanding paper, 180 or similar
-apply primer or putty spray, one layer and _let it dry_ completely
-sand down the primer with 180 then wet sand it with 360 paper
-apply one thin layer of paint colour and _let it dry_ at least one day
-sand it down with wet 360, then go up to 500, 1000 or 2000 when needed, wet of course
-apply the finishing layer of paint

I will apply matt lacquer once the lettering is done, this will be my final layer of painting.
The chassis still needs a lot of small pieces, so busy with printing and painting them.

January 28, 2019

Honored
205 posts

Still waiting for laser cut parts and stickers but looks nice in the garden :)

February 19, 2019

Honored
205 posts

The M61 is near to be finished. I think it will be good enough for my tracks :)

This is the first Es open gondola to be finished. I'm building 6 of this type. The whole frame is 3D printed, the walls are from styrene sheet.

And the next one...the Rába made Mk48 series narrow gauge lok in 1:20 scale...

March 28, 2019

Honored
205 posts

@trainmodeller,
Beautiful 🖒

March 28, 2019

Ivan Hoe Ivan Hoe
Revered
521 posts

11 hours of print

1:26 scale Desiro diesel motor unit head completed

PETG

June 19, 2019

Honored
205 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.