My most complex (22 hour) print so far - and some lessons learned

Here is a photo of my latest print:

My most complex (22 hour) print so far - and some lessons learned

The part is PLA, 120 mm high and about 110 mm wide. It printed in a little over 22 hours with no problems. Here is a close-up showing more detail:

My most complex (22 hour) print so far - and some lessons learned

There were no blobs and only a few very fine strings that were easily removed. I used an Extrusion Width = 0.380 mm and a layer height of 0.225 mm. My extruder is actually 0.400 mm diameter.

My printer has an unheated bed and I use 3M Blue painter's tape to help adhere the part to the bed. I also set Craftware to use Concentric fill for the top & bottom layers, which it did. However, the blue tape holds the part so tightly that I de-laminated the bottom when I took it off the printer:

My most complex (22 hour) print so far - and some lessons learned

And yes, I was very careful taking the part off the printer.

I am going to try to fix this with an iron and some aluminum foil - I will post another pic of the results. I think this problem might not have happened if I had specified Parallel instead of Concentric for the Top & Bottom layer fills. Printing directly on the print bed glass also might have prevented this - I'm thinking the blue tape should only be used for parts with smaller contact areas or that have distinct corners that need to be kept in contact with the print bed.

June 16, 2015

Birk Binnard Birk Binnard
Exalted
703 posts

0 replies

To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.